Saturday, February 19, 2011

Portland Farmers' Market Countdown: One Month to Go!


Today, my dearies, we find ourselves under sunny skies in Portland, just one month from the opening of the Portland Farmers' Market on March 19th. In a few short weeks, my Saturdays will be spent in my favorite place in town, amidst potatoes and greens and farmers in the beating heart of our city. The weekend of March 19th, 20th, and 21st will certainly be a busy one for this gal - I'll be elbow-deep in James Beard mania, hopping around town with my camera and a smile, doing my best to soak in the excitement surrounding the announcement of the James Beard nominees on Monday morning. 2011 is the first year the nominees are being revealed in Beard's hometown, and the weekend leading up to Monday's main event will be packed with events that will undoubtedly leave me hungover and ecstatic. I'm more than stoked. I'm also pretty positive the market's opening day will draw out some national food bigwigs in town for the announcements, but the real celebrities will be the market staff and farmers ringing in the true start of the new year.

Back in the present, My sister Casey and her fiance Mike and I decided to take advantage of the amazing weather this morning and walked down to SE Division to one of our favorite brunch spots - Detour Cafe - and soaked up the sunshine along the way. I've got a new dream of opening a Portland Bed and Breakfast, so - when I wasn't taking photos of blossoms and daffodils - the walk was spent pointing out big houses with great yards that might fit the bill. Just a lazy morning strolling through Southeast Portland - petting pit bulls and St. Bernards and chatting with their owners, waving at smiling drivers and bikers who stop to let us cross a busy street. Everyone gets more polite and gracious in the sun, as if our kind interactions with strangers could please the weather gods and keep the rain away a little longer. It couldn't hurt, I suppose... I know plenty of people are hoping we get a good amount of sun through the next month to bring out the early-spring goodies at the first market.

Will I see you there?





1 comment:

  1. I can feel your excitement about the re-opening of the farmers market all the way over on the East Coast! My husband & I are making our first trip out to Portland this Spring and can't wait to spend Saturday morning at the market :)

    ReplyDelete