Saturday, July 4, 2009

CSA Roundup #3



Happy Fourth of July!

I rolled out of bed really early this morning to pick up my third farm share box, but "my farmers" were up even earlier. Ron and Joan are such troopers, they are up every market day at 4 am, putting together the CSA boxes and traveling to the city. Ron was telling me that they had to turn down an invitation to go to a Independence Day BBQ last night because they turn in so early on Friday nights.

Here's what I found in my box this morning:
-4 Heads of Cauliflower
-2 Knobs of Kohlrabi
-2 lbs of Fava Beans
-2 Pints of Raspberries
-2 lbs of Broccoli
-2 big Sweet Onions
-Bunch fresh Shallots
-Scallions
-3 Yellow Squash
-2 big Zucchini
-2 Chili Peppers (Yay!)
-2 Heads of Cabbage
-1 Bunch Kale
-1 Bunch Mixed Fresh Herbs

Whew! I'm off to the coast for fireworks tonight, and will probably be bringing along a mock-potato salad with the cauliflower. Seriously, 4 heads... at least they are on the small side. Last night I ended up mixing the fava bean salad with a bunch of brown rice, to make it go farther. That was a good decision. I still have leftovers in the fridge, which tasted even better this morning.

Hope your 4th is full of good friends, good beer, and great food. Eat well!

2 comments: