Monday, May 18, 2009

Yes, Mom & Dad, I'm a Gastrosexual.



Hey there! It feels like summer in Portland - and I can already feel the food blogger's dread of cooking in a hot kitchen. While I procrastinate and refrain from turning on any and all heat-producing devices, I thought I'd give you an update on a few foodie finds.

For starters, it turns out I am a finalist in May's "Gastrosexual of the Month" Contest over at The Splendid Table, of Public Radio fame. What is a gastrosexual, you ask? It's a bit goofy, but TOTALLY true... it's anyone who uses their culinary skills to impress their friends and potential love interests.

And, well, if you know me at all, that is me, to the letter. Here's a sample from my entry... and if you know any nice young men looking for a SOLE food dinner, send them my way.

Sexiest culinary tool: A Well-worn Wooden Spoon

Greatest all-time "success" dish: Raspberry and Blackberry Cinnamon Truffles

"Sexiest food": I'm going to have to split this answer into savory and sweet. The sexiest savory food has got to be artichokes! The process of eating a steamed artichoke, fresh from the farmers' market, is intrinsically sensual. Think about it: pulling, leaf by leaf, the pieces of artichoke, submerging in golden melted butter, and sliding them into your mouth before stripping the delicious artichoke meat with your teeth... Plus, eating an artichoke is time consuming, which means more time for eye-contact and flirtatious conversation. The sexiest sweet food has to be ripe, Oregon blackberries, warm off the vine. The way the plump, juicy berries pop in your mouth with the slightest pressure, not to mention how perfectly they go with that famously sexy food, chocolate. Come summertime, I'm luring in the men with blackberry truffles, blackberry fudge cake, blackberry brownies, and whole, fresh berries with a thick, custardy homemade ice cream. Works every time.

Ha, well, by every time, I mean... well... I'm single but my friends eat well! Anyhow, you can read this and other entries over at the Splendid Table website. And please stop laughing at me. I'm just tickled that Lynne Rossetto Kasper thinks my food is sexy.



In other webby news, The Atlantic (née Atlantic Monthly) recently launched a new Food Channel, filled with really great, well-written foodie facts and news. They have a whole sections called "On the Farm", "Sustainability", "Artisans", and so much more. I am going to waste SO. MUCH. TIME. I've already subscribed to the feed and perused the site for an hour. Beware, this is going to be as addictive as Tastespotting, hands down. Apparently, the new portal will also showcase experts from the worlds of health, nutrition and science -- the people most food journalists go to as authorities, speaking for themselves. Rad.

Eat well and stay cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment