Monday, April 27, 2009

Tuna and Asparagus Salad with Mint



I'm often asked how I find time to prepare all of my meals while being a full-time student - not to mention the whole laundry-list of things with which I fill my day. The answer is, I'm kind of boring. Now, before I set myself up as a total square, let me clarify - my meals during the week (especially busy school weeks like this one) are extremely routine.

My secrets to fast, fresh eating are pretty much the same as every cook on the Food Network claiming to save you time. There's planning ahead, using whole, fresh ingredients, and throwing them all in a Tupperware container with apple cider vinegar and shaking the hell out of it. Ok, well, maybe that one is uniquely mine, but let me tell you, it works.

I steamed a big handful of asparagus (in a pan on the stove - you don't need a special asparagus cooker) - chopped it up with a cucumber. I had a can of tuna in oil, so I didn't need to add olive oil to my "dressing", and put the veggies and the fish in a Tupperware container (I wasn't lying - I do this at least twice a day) with some salt and apple cider vinegar. A few shakes, then the whole shebang goes over a bed of lettuce with some chopped fresh mint on top. Seriously. That's it. So good, so fresh, so easy.

This dish is a perfect example of my eating habits - a bed of lettuce, whatever veggies I have in the fridge (which I chop, steam, or roast), a protein source (usually beans, fish, or chicken that I've already cooked), and some oil, salt, and vinegar. A bit heartier than your typical dinner salad, this one-plate approach is a great way to use up veggies, get your protein and fats, and save a bunch of time cooking a full meal. I know I'm reinventing the wheel - Oooh, a salad for dinner, how creative - but the thing that makes this real eating is quantity and quality. Plus, I think adding fresh herbs to any dish makes it feel a little less like you're eating on the run.

This might be easiest for me because I think there are very few veggies (or fruits, for that matter) that don't go well together, and that everything tastes delicious in apple cider vinegar. That's it, full disclosure, that's how I eat in my "real life" when things get hectic. If I'm on the run, everything just stays in the tupperware (with lettuce) until lunch time.

Now, if I haven't run the point home, I'm SO BUSY THIS WEEK, so that's all for now. Eat well!

2 comments:

  1. I love how green your recipes are. The more green the better! This one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so refreshing and the addition of mint sounds great!

    ReplyDelete