Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Cauliflower on the Coast



I promised I'd show you my camping food set-up for the summer, so here it is, plus the above shot from Yachats, Oregon's coastline. I know, it's a rough life.



I'm set up with a small Coleman grill, which doubles as a burner for a saucepan. I've been slicing up onions and whatever grillable veggies I have on hand, tossing them with canola oil, salt and pepper, and grilling them up. Add some beans, some cumin, and a salad with walnuts, radishes, and grapes, and I'm not missing my kitchen at all.



The only thing that is really hard about camp cooking is the lack of hot water. It's near impossible to de-oil a salad bowl with cold water, much less cold water in a small bucket on a wooden picnic table. But it's manageable, and I'm having a great time.

The surprise of this meal was how great grapes and grilled onions tasted together. I know, kind of odd, but a real treat.

2 comments:

  1. What a great dinner! The salad looks wonderful, not to mention the cauliflower. I have fond memories of cooking on a camp stove but I never turned out anything that looked as good as this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm literally unpopular in my family for liking grilled cauliflowers, considering the fact that everyone else hates them!! The salad looks delish really!

    ReplyDelete