Friday, December 19, 2008

Last Portland Farmers' Market CANCELLED

I've got some sad news to report to my Portland readers. My friends at Portland Farmers' Market just informed me that this Saturday's Solstice market - the last scheduled market of the year - has been cancelled due to this wintry weather.



Frozen, snow covered fields and transit roads have made it difficult, if not impossible for the farmers to harvest and deliver crops for this weekend's market. The forecast indicates more ice and snow is on the way this weekend. In the interest of vendor and shopper safety, market staff have regretfully decided to cancel the last market.

It's been such a great market year - the kids cook classes, the great music, saying hello to new vendors and staff and saying goodbye and thank you to old friends. I'd like to thank everyone at PFM for allowing me to help out, even if my hands are still burning from shucking all of that corn straight off the grill. You guys are my heroes, and you know I'll show up bright and early to document the opening day of our 19th year.


My sad backyard garden, and my happy, oddly orange, kitchen.

Please join me on March 21, 2009 to welcome a new year of harvest, friends, and fun. Until then, we'll have to get our root vegetable, squash, and bean fix at some of our fantastic local grocers.

Help me spread the news about this weekend - I wouldn't want a bunch of hungry people showing up to an empty lot of ice and snow.

Happy Holidays, and keep eating well!

No comments:

Post a Comment